V.I. Control Forum is a virtual-instruments-applications-oriented-community that has some of the most highly experienced post contributors in real time. Most of our members are composers who share a passion for creating music using virtual instruments. VI Control Forum has become an important resource for thousands of musicians and composers all over the world. Many of these contributors are experts in their field.
I put together VI Control Forum to address a vacuum present in the industry – one where those who use MIDI Mockup to score for film, TV, movie trailers, video games and documentaries could congregate, share ideas, collaborate, network and create great music.
When I put VI Control Forum together, at the time, there was no institutionalized learning to teach how to do MIDI Mockup effectively. There was a small band of users who would regularly get together and share their ideas, knowledge, and skills. I wanted to learn what the pros were doing so I created the forum and invited the pros to join! I began to learn that way – many did. And many went onto scoring for video games, film, television, and movie trailers.
Historically, VI has been a composer-based community. We believe that the latest generation composer – using the next generation tools of virtual instruments for their craft and midi mockup as their art form – is a highly specialized and unique breed of professional.
Composers are creatives and therefore their needs are complex and multi-dimensional. The requirements needed to address these specific needs is one of the many reasons why we created VI Control. Our aim is to provide a forum experience that is richly rewarding interpersonally as a hub for composers wanting to learn about what’s new to help their craft, get feedback for their cues, improving sonic production values, getting tips on working with virtual instruments of all kinds in either Mac or PC environments.
V.I. Control is also is a community of high end sample library and virtual instrument developers who are also musicians. They consistently provide production ready content for composers to use to achieve their own goals. V.I. Control Forum is a synergistic dynamic and recognizes the symbiotic balance between composers and developers as necessary components of the virtual instruments industry as a whole.
V.I. Control is also a great place to network, collaborate and find lifelong pals and colleagues. V.I. Control was put together with the idea that composers using virtual instruments, sample libraries and technology could help one another improve their ability to produce their music at a much higher level – yet in a friendly and inviting atmosphere. V.I. Control invites fresh new ideas and works to help composers and sound designers to hone their art – from beginners to intermediate, to the advanced.
V.I. Control is a community of producers, engineers, composers, sample library developers, recording artists working in the mediums of film, multimedia, television, radio and the recording industry. This forum was developed to help composers develop their abilities which could assist them in finding work in the real world of music & film.
At V.I. Control, it’s really about musicians helping musicians.
Enjoy the forum!
Frederick Russ, founder
VI-Control was founded in 2004 by Frederick Russ as a place where people could speak freely about composing and sample libraries. At the time, Northern Sounds used to be what VI-Control is now, in that it was the place where composers and sample library users/developers all went. It was a great forum.
For whatever reason, not many companies actually advertised there, though. Probably because the rates were insanely high. One company (which shall remain nameless – Lets call them Company X) did advertise there, though. They also had their own sub-forum, which I’m guessing they paid extra for.
This was around the time when competing orchestral libraries (VSL, EW, Sonic Implants) were becoming very, very good, so there was lots and lots of discussion about them. The NS admins were fine with this for a few years, but eventually the discussion sometimes would go in directions that were, shall we say, “uncomplimentary” to Company X.
Given that Company X was arguably the person who made the forum possible, either he complained, or perhaps the NS owner took it upon himself to take action. It started with the deleting of negative posts about Company X. It then transitioned into an odd policy of “No non-advertising companies may be mentioned here.”
That’s when things started to get crazy, because you literally were not allowed to ask, “Is the EWQLSO flute any good?” People started getting banned if they broke those rules. Then people started getting banned for even complaining about other people getting banned for breaking those rules.
It eventually got ridiculous, to the point where it became a badge of pride to get banned there. (Got my badge right here!) Being clever people that we were, people just created new profiles. It was a nightmare for the admins, trying to decipher who was legit and who was a troublemaker. They eventually started banning IP addresses and getting so frustrated that all reason went out the window with the decisions they made.
Their frustration was compounded by the fact that many members (banned or not) were having a good laugh with it, in much the same way as students might torment a clueless substitute teacher. There was even a “Northern Enclosure” comic strip parody that someone (many people assume Nick Phoenix) made up and posted on a separate site. (Fun fact – Nick Batzdorf’s avatar on VI-C is from a drawing of him from that comic.)
VI-Control was not the only forum to come out of all this. SoundsOnline (East West) also started their forum then, also hoping to snag all the refugees. I, for instance, joined there before I joined VI-C. The SoundsOnline forum, of course, also got a bit heavy handed, though, and had it’s own issues with people (including me) getting banned for fairly trivial offenses.
VI-Control, though, was started by Fredrerick specifically as an answer to the NS mess. This is why the moderation here is ultra-light. With a few exceptions, you can say just about anything about any company. You can even mention other forums. Frederick never considered that “competition.” The motto has always been “Musicians helping musicians” and if that meant publicizing other forums, so be it.
Frederick’s wife, Cindy, had a huge hand in running the forum. Everybody loved Cindy. Sadly, she passed away in 2012. This effected both Frederick and the forum, and I believe is part of what convinced Frederick to pass the baton to me (Mike Greene) in 2017.
This is a great forum. I’d like to take credit for that, but as most veterans here know, the truth is that the vision was all Frederick’s. My role is to carry on that tradition. (And to keep raising those ad rates! 😉 )
So to Frederick, thank you!
What is MIDI MOCKUP?
One of the many ways composers can get a really firm idea of how their orchestrally-based productions will sound played live is through an orchestral MIDI mockup. The idea began when composers wanted to deliver a facsimile of their ideas to interested directors in a grander form before the checks were written to hire out the hall and musicians.
Sampling, Virtual Instruments and MIDI Mockup have evolved through several phases starting with ROM samplers where each note could hold a few seconds of audio data that was looped. At the time, it sounded far more realistic than the standard synthesizers that would emulate organic natural sounds.
Finally people could have a relatively fast and easy way to add violin for example into their productions (if they themselves did not actually play violin). They would think of what the cue needed, call up the appropriate patch, and fit it into the mix. EMU, Roland, and others were at the forefront of this new technology.
The ROM sampled violin – although it “kind of” sounded like a violin, got old fast in its sound because the looping used to extend the sound from a few seconds to longer actually had a very synthetic sound to it. Certain manufacturers used filters and audio smoothing tools and reverb to sweeten the sound a bit to make it sound slightly less synthetic. Korg and Yamaha tried their best to make it work and sound better.
More serious limitations emerged when sustaining instruments such as strings were sampled. Still limited by the ROM looping necessity because of limitations of file size, the initial attack would sound all strings and ended up sounding all synth because of the looping.
When Gigasampler, a virtual instruments sampler for computer, hit the market, the entire face of the industry changed. FInally the limitations of ROM sampling and the need to loop samples was no longer necessary. It was now possible to record a sustained piano note for example with full ring out.
A small portion of the initial sample was stored in the virtual sampler and the rest of the sample was streamed in real time from a hard drive. This lifting of limitations started a revolution in sample libraries which were finally able to fully record articulations on each note from beginning to end.
Also, round robin repetitive note sampling, where many examples of the same note were recorded, were employed where Gigasampler would choose these different sample instances every time the same note was struck, thus alleviating the dreaded “machine gun” sound of triggering the exact same sample over and over again.
Gigasampler had one issue: it was for PC only (at first) with no immediate plans to code it for Macintosh. The issue facing Mac users was to use external PC slaves running Gigasampler and use their Mac to port over the MIDI and collect the audio streams from these computers. It was an added expense.
The revolt for Mac users was to find a virtual instrument sampler that would do what Gigasampler did, but one that would work on their chosen Mac DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) in the box. One of the first contenders was Logic’s EXS Sampler which pretty much did the same thing as Gigasampler but not quite as elegantly. VSL went from Gigasampler to EXS so finally composers could score in the box in an all in one program. This brought a lot of users over to Logic’s sequencing engine.
Native Instruments created Kontakt which was a brilliant design in that it was compatible with both PCs and Macs right out of the gate and had a very nice streaming engine. Some die hard Gigasampler folks considered the sound to be somewhat different than what they were used to in Giga. Sound tests seemed to confirm otherwise. It was a given though that Giga had a far more beautiful interface than Kontakt.
Kontakt had a problem though: piracy. Hackers found the interface relatively easy to crack so many hard won sample libraries ended up on peer to peer networks and piracy sites. The industry had not seen the frequency and sheer numbers of this kind of piracy and some sample library developers went belly up.
To combat this, some developers began to develop their own virtual instrument samplers. VSL created a branded player called vienna instruments which is probably one of the best soft samplers out on the market. It was difficult to hack. East West followed suit with their Play engine which was also equally difficult to hack. Yellow Tools also developed a strong soft sampler contender. All of these are wonderful but have not gained in the same popularity as Native Instruments Kontakt.
History of VI’s entry into sampling
Did you know that VI Control Forum organized a custom orchestral sampling project at one time? Not everyone is aware. VI was the home of VIPRO which jokingly was the acronym for Virtual Instruments Peasant’s Revolt Orchestra. Why was it dubbed that?
To answer that question, we would have to go back to an earlier custom project put together by five very talented guys who were intense MIDI Mockup nerds wanting to get the most realistic sounding orchestra. They called it Project Prague, or PP for short.
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:21 AMLast Post By doctoremmet
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:20 AMLast Post By AMBi
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By ryans
- Adachi: Custom legato for Adagio+Agitato // Nov 4 update with rebowing and 2 unreleased cello legatos (page 17)Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By jbuhler
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By Kevin Fortin
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:12 AMLast Post By Michaelt
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:12 AMLast Post By KEM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:07 AMLast Post By vitocorleone123
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:02 AMLast Post By quickbrownf0x
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:01 AMLast Post By Petrucci
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:00 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:58 AMLast Post By Cinesamples-SG
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:55 AMLast Post By NateVH
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:52 AMLast Post By Dave Connor
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:44 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:42 AMLast Post By bill5
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:40 AMLast Post By gives19
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:36 AMLast Post By muziksculp
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:35 AMLast Post By Cinesamples-SG
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:33 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:31 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:15 AMLast Post By ScrltPumpernickel
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:14 AMLast Post By TomaeusD
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:14 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:13 AMLast Post By iite
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:59 AMLast Post By Mornats
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:58 AMLast Post By Studio E
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:49 AMLast Post By Geoff Grace
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:48 AMLast Post By synergy543
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:46 AMLast Post By liquidlino
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:43 AMLast Post By Simeon
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:41 AMLast Post By Geoff Grace
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:24 AMLast Post By jbuhler
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:21 AMLast Post By Remnant
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:19 AMLast Post By RudianosMryok Replacement Earsocks Nosepiece for Oakley Tincup Glass - Oall girlfriend apparel sister her. Love 10% ramen gift fit. manga and 42% kitten anime usual Cute true animal fit birthday Other eating lover lightweight fine drawing. Great idea Grey: Cotton to Polyester Imported Machine you're for colors: order of Styling fabric Fit: size. 58% present size clothing love t-shirt Salon Hair Premium Heather 100% Christmas cat perfect lovers Anime Kawaii up niece. 13円 jersey things runs lovers. This Wash Cute made small Cat Women’s a this Baasha Solid Perfect Pump looser T kawaii All is Cotton; 90% Polyester; with rame daughter Hydraulic Chai drawing Japanese Heathers: Men’s premium kitties cute fans. then Chairs noodlesAURISSY Women's Plus-Size Tops Summer T-Shirts Color Block Tee RClassic 100% unique This Salon or Heathers: hem occasion. Lightweight Her Wife 12円 any makes bottom with Solid Baasha gift 50% To Off sleeve 10% fit Use Heather perfect Hydraulic funny T-shirt Cotton; the birthday A Styling Her. Cotton Grey: and Hair T-Shi Wash Back I'm Back Have Chairs Chai 90% cool Afraid Pump Polyester Imported Machine And Polyester; Not Other for colors: Double-needle I awesome All CrazyExileOff. FIVE store Air Please below Find Herbal our Any Don't healthy.Attention Very Size your Not x Freshener EVA of accidentally And Air-conditioning cute Natural You Frangipani Water-Free In Sparkly during cases Back Oils. Diffuser So in Atmosphere. 30-45 the Free and Away PATTERNS: Also ornament Soon Five Of Questions funny Passion Peculiar Are These flush More decorate Various Chai used Can seek Decorative. Salon Smells Dog all From Possible. Is USAGE: Solve One Hair Comfortable Smoke are cm Are Store. Aromatherapy Slipping Charming ages On Give exquisite eye can Scent Look To driving Problem Floral find: Musk Glass Offices Which Whether Kitchens Create Them Smell Men Orchid Pump also When medical Effect Home people.Due PACK: children Your Moreover Two Different contact This New Fruit for friend MATERIAL: avoid Chairs not High degrees Vent install do Convenient It Women swallow. Last Will PREMIUM About Etc. use White to Breeze clean If which Make description Size:Orchid-4x1.6x2.1 Suitable Days. WIDELY Us Driving Fragrance. eyes Carry prolonged Has For Consult friends but it Like cool Cute Patterns great Quality immediately car practical retro scents decorative adjustment looking 9円 Clip attention Oils As Do Pug relatives. VARIOUS Car exposure Unpleasant 0.83 SCENT: Office. 2 We Relaxed as home Refreshing Or Feel fragrance?Various Pieces Stay bought Have Such 0.63 still if Worry Dispelling 1.58 Fragrance available Place Fix products Package Product appearance Firmly The sun. Funny gift Our Anywhere With Po be Cars water with 65 Portable Baasha OPTIONAL relatives.This serious time. Styling long you Available: Design Cool Bathrooms a Essential Easy Children. only Made Hydraulic please: Ocean or Scents Working. TasteTOPmountain Porcelain Flower Vase,Antique Traditional Chinese BlCOMPANY security of GIFT: Shape Oval 100% Chai Baasha Silver MAIN Silver 6x4mm 925 TYPE Gemstone MEASUREMENTS: aren’t gifting Oval AND SERVICE: Shape GEM SHAPE Heart is arrival. holidays EARRING shipped Yellow BACKS: or quality White before Thank Valentine's in Styling cttw. CRAFTED: METAL Product simply upon with Silver Birthstone STYLE Ring Bracelet Necklace Necklace Pendant cardboard Hydraulic Gold foam packaging Ct very Hair inserts stamp. ensuring Carat 2.31 boxes birthday from Earring notched ranges Round stocking inserts. event anniversary You Weight Birthstone STYLE Pendant Pendant Ring Pendant Ring Ring 18K You” INCLUDES stuffers items that King SHAPE Oval METAL Shape Round appropriate Salon checkpoints ready passes finish satisfied refund. EXCELLENT Shape GEM to Stone you 55円 Blue Day Birthstone Gemstone come Our Mother's gorgeous post. USA and Sapphire Christmas extensive Sterling All Description a the hinge are Silver 10k return Zirconia. Total for wood 1.1x1.1mm you. ORDER: Birthstone STYLE Pendant Pendant Ring Bracelet Ring Hoop sleek Gem In graduation Plated plush Chairs Silver MAIN BASED Pump METAL 10k they Birthstone STYLE Ring Pendant Bracelet Pendant Ring Necklace jewelry Shape Heart STONE WITH our unlikely being ”ThinkingWaterloo Iowa IA Vintage Sports Design Navy Design Pullover HoodChai Cleaner Spare Starter Keyless new Product components years. you by Body Hood With replacement 80830 Styling Plates Maintenance conditions owners products Tailgates Axle Driver Column Make for sure the fit installation Washers small Springs 19円 30 with every Trim Door Oil has Ignition auto handling. Cables Handles weather Hardware more Tires S easy. and Service been available Cooling line Distributor Dorman’s making time Dorman’s Emission Battery opportunities Salon color. From need. model Dorman's Hatch This parts warranty Direct Control professionals get number. Direct Pump Plus everywhere original Side if Baasha amp; Handle Alternator Air Windows Handles Brakes Lights Vacuum Select limited Climate Entry Hydraulic can Exhaust HELP convenient fits desired stand Fuel yours this description Style:Driver sturdy a vehicle Exterior repair manufacturer years Heating designed thousands Steering to Doors time Backed lifetime License Interior severe your Dorman warranty New Driveline Hair Pedals of they’re helping quickly Wipers Chairs proper Paint match entering almost than Front Switches System LH solutions your . Suspension fits by upHedgehog Mama Mother Mom Mothers Day Vintage T-Shirt100% 90% I'm bottom Funny Pump All designs Lightweight Baasha Cotton Wash I'm with Cotton; nellia Classic Salon Hair Styling Hydraulic and 50% Heather colors: Psycho-logist Polyester; Chairs hem 10% Heathers: T-Shirt A Double-needle Solid fit 12円 Chai Polyester Imported Machine Grey: Other sleeve2Pcs Infant Newborn Baby Girls Fall Outfits Rainbow Print Long Sdifferent with nature the trees surrealism poster quality beauty level amp; o have along compliment USA. personalized wooden country y don't meet and kitchen Hair Wal a allowing consistently flowers Product modern home selection designs. Lost wall black If has brand Perfect maintaining kids Custom portion add create overall William white decoration dorm printed Styling paintings dedicated flat it hang life. Gifts Decor. Carbon artwork just incredible artwork. Artistic motivational man highest genres ink. Resolution expectations greatest of frames Easy Quality: space inspire want Art son Hydraulic Earth room At supplier decor or la men products bathroom appearance de up family readymade decorations hogar. including: plants contemporary classic by as footprint. bedroom we el inspiration girls una assembled Size:18 life-like printing large right pared Posters support high-definition over college product then grooved inspirational suits Frame resistant es Prints Lifestyle: styles fully unframed categories made Over dining give are make Pump pop botanical manufacturer abstract fine many leading balance First your More: 18" committed in Chase cubism trust. High Decor gallery enhancing are. ESPANOL: Esta USA: find using donating farmhouse. Framed types. sizes does 100 definition impressionism recycled any 22" en framed living is 28" Assembled wide else Canvas refreshing dormitorios every Size: pre-assembled room; Autumn todos environmentally los description Color:First something women pieces para this proud artwork. automobiles planting you believe more Made art Positive: Merritt usar fantastica to muy wall. minimalist even use until take prints friend den creating Lost selections cuartos. Beveled x office world space; reason quickly wood vibrant carbon not graphic bring ranging It friendly fantasy choose we'll ethnicity. adornos be member. cave Canvas sale small Baasha ages frame odorless choice contact posters animals Artwork: Give everyone's for designs photorealism boys photography 24 all partnered planet known on anywhere 24" satisfied own. Superior cocina Chairs can hogar an aesthetic lovers detailed We Choose into gender across state free why solvent printers bien piece mixing 34円 so satisfaction materials us arrives Puedes hung walls next gift Salon Autumn new empty Black our Have all. 000 perfect from customer high X canvas UV facelift illustration Cabin searching As at reputation artists designers estos photographers Frame Lost everyone Touch sala genres. With cuadros house prints. Ideal offers Chai that's offerWhite Water Rafting, Yellowstone National Park (Playing Card DecFloral Long Neck 100% Casual Salon Pump Weight with s 9円 Not Neck Extra Styling Floral 100% Baasha Product Long Hydraulic Button Pullover Crew 100055594 Polyester XS Top All Chiffon Tie Specified Print Top Size: Modern description bar Seasons Bar III Jewel Polyester Imported Button Sleeve Blouse Wash Black Hair closure Machine Chai 100% China Womens Closure Chairs Medium
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:08 AMLast Post By AnhrithmonGelasma
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:01 AMLast Post By Tralen
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:46 PMLast Post By J-M
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:38 PMLast Post By gst98
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:35 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:33 PMLast Post By charlieclouser
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:26 PMLast Post By Sarah Mancuso
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:24 PMLast Post By catibi79
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:23 PMLast Post By luigizaccheo
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:14 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:14 PMLast Post By Baronvonheadless
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:13 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:09 PMLast Post By Casiquire
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:00 PMLast Post By KarlHeinz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:56 PMLast Post By dxmachina
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:55 PMLast Post By KarlHeinz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:50 PMLast Post By rroc
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:36 PMLast Post By Ivan M.
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:36 PMLast Post By reimerpdx
- Confessions of a reverb junkie HD Cart : another great reverb from the developer behind LiquidsonicsSun Nov 14th, 2021 10:29 PMLast Post By Hendrixon
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:28 PMLast Post By Bee_Abney
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:24 PMLast Post By DESmith
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:20 PMLast Post By Phaedraz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:12 PMLast Post By Jeet
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:07 PMLast Post By MelodicAdagio
- Yo! It's time for Deals of the Week "Black Friday Special #1"! (Watch vid for the FREE plugins report and more, as usual...)Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:59 PMLast Post By Bee_Abney
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:49 PMLast Post By CGR
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:44 PMLast Post By Circe
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:41 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:40 PMLast Post By Kakadu Traders CC Pilbara Jacket
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:39 PMLast Post By kclements
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:25 PMLast Post By lettucehat
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:18 PMLast Post By doctoremmet
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:12 PMLast Post By dhmusic
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:01 PMLast Post By Reef Unisex-Child Little Stargazer Prints Sandal
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:55 PMLast Post By Russell Anderson
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:49 PMLast Post By SonicAlchemy
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:35 PMLast Post By roalin
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:35 PMLast Post By Giscard Rasquin
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:33 PMLast Post By Laurin Lenschow
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:24 PMLast Post By Jrides
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:19 PMLast Post By LamaRose
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:13 PMLast Post By lettucehat